1. Because she knew the chain would make Jim happy. She wanted to cheer him up.
2. No, they weren’t. I know that because they lived in a poor house and they didn’t have money.
3. One treasure was Jim’s gold watch and the other was Della’s hair because probably, at that time, the healthy and long hair was not common.
4. She sold her beautiful hair for only twenty dollars in a hair shop down the street from their apartment.
5. He sold his gold watch. He probably inherited the watch from his grand-father and beside to be expensive was valuable in the affective sense.
6. The Magi were three wise men who brought gifts to the baby Jesus. They invented the art of giving Christmas presents.
7. Because Jim and Della sacrificed for each other their greatest treasures. The writer, O. Henry, wanted to prove that the important things are love and relations but materials things can be important or not too.
More information click: http://www.enotes.com/gift-magi/author-biography